2013 Summer CSA May 28th -December 3th. Sign up here!
A Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program is a partnership*** between the farmer and the community. The benefit for the community member is that they know where their food is grown, who is growing it and how it is grown. The benefit for the farmer is that they are able to raise much needed income at the beginning of the season for all the start up costs for the coming year. The farmer is also able to create a greater connection to the people who eat what they grow. Another benefit to becoming a CSA shareholder is that the money you spend stays in the local economy.
By becoming a shareholder in the farm, the community member(s) will receive a box of produce each week for the length of the CSA season. Every week the box will be filled with fresh, seasonal, and organic vegetables, fruit, herbs, and flowers grown right here in Santa Cruz. We do not purchase produce from various wholesalers to fill our boxes. The vast majority of produce is straight from our farm. At times, we will supplement our box with a crop from a farm friend so as to compliment the array of crops that we grow.
We offer two share sizes: an individual share for $420/season ($15/week) and a family share for $700/season ($25/week). During the Summer CSA, we offer the opportunity to pay for your share in two installments. Payment needs to be received by the Sunday before the first delivery to get a box that coming Tuesday.
We grow a wide variety of vegetables all through out the year. Depending on the time of year some of the typical items you can expect to find in your CSA share are: lettuce, kale, cabbage, cilantro, tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, radicchio, collards, herbs, summer & winter squash, chard and lots more. Throughout the season we will also partner with local friends and farmers to add delicious and unique items to your CSA box. In the past we have included such items as Brussels sprouts, leeks, and artichokes from Rodoni Farms, honey from Santa Cruz Gold, Padron peppers from Groundswell Farm, jams and fruit butters from Pantry House, and more.
We also have an add-on option to the weekly box. Each week we will list items that are for sale in addition to what you will receive in your box. One week we may have apples that you can buy in bulk to make apple butter, dried apples, pies…Another week we may have flower bouquets to brighten your home or office. We will also be offering staples such as honey and coffee on a consistent basis.
Another new feature of our CSA is that when you register you can pay with your credit card right on our website! We will still accept checks but hope that paying via credit card will make registering and paying easier for you.
***Please note that by signing up for the CSA you are entering into an agreement and partnership with Route 1 Farms. Unfortunately, shares cannot be refunded for any reason. If the shareholder decides that they no longer want to receive a box, we will be able to cancel the subscription but will not be able to offer a refund.***
Pick Up Sites
We currently have 9 pick up sites throughout Santa Cruz County.
- Westside Santa Cruz: at 1305 Fair Ave. #2, 95060, our warehouse on the corner of McPherson & Fair Ave
- Seabright: on Sumner St., Santa Cruz, 95062 (Complete address given when you register)
- Santa Cruz: At Route 1 Farms: 2035 Ocean St. Extension, Santa Cruz, 95060
- Felton: on Plateau Dr., off Highway 9, Felton, 95018 (Complete address given when you register)
- Aptos: at Aptos Natural Foods, 7506 Soquel Drive, Aptos, 95003
- Boulder Creek: on Keller Dr., Boulder Creek, 95006 (Complete address given when you register)
- Scotts Valley: Scotts Valley Dr., 95066 off of Granite Creek exit on Hwy. 17. (Complete address given when you register)
- Ben Lomond: on Hihn Rd., Ben Lomond, 95005 (Complete address given when you register)
- The Summit: on Summit Rd., 95033 (Complete address given when you register)
- Half Moon Bay: Not available yet but we are working on it. Pick up would be at Ground Up Burger on Main St. Please help us spread the word. Contact us if you are interested in this location before you register.
Are you or someone you know interested in being a site host for the CSA? If so, please give us a call at 831- 426-1075 and we will explain what we are looking for. As a thank you for being a site host you will receive $5 off of your box each week. Not too mention that you will be bringing healthy, organic produce to your immediate community. What better way than to get to know your neighbors (if you don’t already know them that is) than through great food?